Monday, January 23, 2012

Food Justice for All: Food Justice in the City

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/food-for-everyone/growing-power-in-an-urban-food-desert




I feel very fortunate to have a home that is within close proximity to a grocery store that provides the option of purchasing fruits and vegetables. This, however, is not the case for many Americans who live in urban areas of a lower socio-economic status. This phenomena is referred to as a food desert. As a consequence, many Americans do not have access to healthy, and diverse food options. It is not lawful to seclude individuals of basic, human, necessities. So why is this type of environmental racism still occurring? Who is to blame? And how can we make a change for the better?

~ Meron A.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure exactly how to make a change for the better, but the way that we handle classes and government in the US seem to really affect this.

    It makes sense to me that no one would want to live by a polluter. If I had the money to, I would move away from the source. In my head it Environmental Racism occurs due to uneven money, education, and representation distribution. I am not sure how to evenly spread polluters when people with money have the means to move away, and these people are not usually minorities.

    ReplyDelete