Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wait...you want me to pay $8 bucks for milk??

I went to the grocery store recently, and noticed the ridiculously priced “organic milk”, while I was there. I couldn’t believe it, almost $8 bucks for milk!

Who can afford to buy organic milk? Is this a form of food injustice? In my opinion, it most definitely is. Think about it, milk is only good for about 2 weeks, and organic milk must expire much sooner due to its minimal chemical additives. Therefore, in order to eat organic, a family should be able to shell out about $30 bucks a month…for milk!

Thus, a family who wants to only eat, and purchase “organic”, would have to be a high income earner. Is this just? Should the “best” quality food be only available to high socio-economic status families?
 I feel that food is related to health and well being, so if we are depriving a group of people from the availability of healthy foods, we are in turn depriving them of a healthy lifestyle and well being. This to me is the essence of the cycle of dehumanization and food injustice.
 ~Meron A.

No comments:

Post a Comment